What’s New in VMware vRealize Automation 7.3
VMware vRealize Automation 7.3 has been released with several interesting and most demanding new capabilities and features like "T-shirt” sizing and many more. Now vRA 7.3 is available for download.
Parameterized Blueprints to Enhance Reusability and Reduce Sprawl:
I just “vRealized” that it’s one of the most demanded features is now out-of-the box. This feature will certainly help customers to reduce the number blueprints need to publish. This is what most of our customers were looking for in vRealize Automation environments.
- Introduced component profiles for defining both size and image attributes, enabling "T-shirt sizing" as a request item.
- Component profiles provided for image and virtual machine size including CPU, memory, and storage size.
- Efficiently manage blueprints by leveraging abstracted component profiles.
- Increase reusability while significantly reducing blueprint sprawl.
- Trigger approval policies on size or image conditions.
- Import or export of component profiles using vRealize CloudClient.
- Automatically substitute component profile values.
Policy-Based Optimization of Virtual Machine Placement:
This feature will allow vRealize Automation to utilize the analytics data from vRealize Operations to optimize the placement of workloads and safeguard each workload to meet its expected SLA as well as the performance.
- Maximize your infrastructure investment by optimizing placement.
- Combine vRealize Automation governance with performance based insight to optimize placement.
- Place Virtual Machines according to performance goals, using multiple algorithms.
- Balance for maintaining maximum headroom in case of spikes.
- Consolidate to leave space for large workloads.
Enhancements in NSX Integration with vRealize Automation 7.3:
VMware vRealize Automation 7.3 bypasses the need for NSX plug-in for vRealize Orchestrator as it will directly communicates with NSX REST API. This feature will reduce the difficulty and gear up NSX features acceptances in vRealize Automation.
Enhanced NAT Port Forwarding Rules:
- NSX on-demand NAT
- Port forwarding rules can be configured at design time
- Rules can be ordered
- Rules can be added, removed, and reordered after you create them
Enhanced Control of NSX-Provisioned Load Balancers:
- This feature enables to customize NSX On-Demand Load Balancer
- It will allow customers to achieve day-2 load balancer actions like adding new virtual servers or edit settings such as Persistence, Health Monitors, Transparent Mode, Port, etc.
NSX Security Group and Tag Management:
- Able to add existing NSX security groups or tags to a running application
- Able to disassociate NSX security groups and tags from applications
High Availability Automated for NSX Edge Services:
- Edge high-availability mode in the blueprint provides high availability for all edge services to an application when it is deployed
- Configurable per blueprint based on application availability needs
- Use custom properties to determine high availability at request time
- Adds high availability for load balancing, NAT, firewall, and so on
NSX Edge Size Selection:
- Able to specify deployment size for NSX Edge Services Gateway (ESG)
- Configurable per-blueprint based on application needs or scale
- Uses custom properties for size selection at request time
Configuration Automation Framework - Puppet Integration:
- Configuration management as first-class citizen
- Make plug-in invisible to customers and enable actions in the blueprint design canvas
- Ability to drag-and-drop configuration management notes and dynamically assign roles on the design canvas
- First implementation with Puppet
- Register Puppet Master as an endpoint
- Drag-and-drop Puppet node
- Dynamically query Puppet Master, environment, and roles
- Support late binding and early binding options
- Support post-provisioning actions, such as unregister and delete
Improvements to Installation, Upgrade, Migration:
- New installation API extensions
- Trigger initial content creation
- Invoke self-signed certificate generation
- Certificate replacement in vRealize Automation, IaaS web, and IaaS Microsoft SQL
- New upgrade API extensions
- List all available versions for upgrade
- Get download status of upgrade packages
- Do pre-upgrade check for the selected version
- Get approximate upgrade time estimation
- Get status progress of the upgrade
- Automated migration from vRealize Automation 7.x to 7.3
- Ability to a generate certificate signing request (CSR) in install wizard
REST API Improvements:
- Use case based REST API samples using Postman for many of the commonly used vRealize Automation use cases now available on GitHub
- New and Improved Swagger documentation for all of the vRealize Automation REST APIs available on code.vmware.com
- Enhanced vRealize Automation Programming Guide providing information about the vRealize Automation REST APIs that is easier to use and navigate
Improvements to High Availability:
- Automated failover of PostgreSQL database
- Automated failover of IaaS Manager Service
- Enhanced RabbitMQ recovery
- Support for multiple NICs in the vRealize Automation appliance
- Audit logging framework object types:
- Workflow Subscription
- Fabric Groups
- Endpoints (Infrastructure)
- Send audit logs to vRealize Log Insight or syslog server using Log Insight agent
- Configurable retention period
Destroy Virtual Machine Enhancement - Force Destroy:
- Workload maintainability
- Safely ignores any failures interrupting the destroy process
- Efficient clean-up of failed deployments
- Improved stable management of workloads
- Applies to entire deployment
New Business Group User Role:
- Allows for shared resource access and management
- Enhancements to Custom Properties
- Software components now able to to consume custom properties
- Handling of secure custom properties improved
Extended External IPAM Vendor Framework:
- Added support for on-demand NAT networks
- Supports one-to-many and one-to-one static IP addresses
Azure Public Cloud Service Design Enhancements:
- Select, drag-and-drop software components on Azure machines in the blueprint designer.
- Specify software properties on the blueprint designer and on the request form
- Pre-populated forms and dropdowns
vRealize Orchestrator Control Center RBAC:
- All users are able to log in, not just the root user
- Trace execution and logs for workflow-based vRealize Automation requests, based on user role
- Troubleshoot requests based on user role
- Reuse and extend privileges and roles from vRealize Automation
vRealize Automation and ServiceNow Enhancements:
- View and request AWS catalog items from the ServiceNow portal
- Seamless integration with the ServiceNow governance engine
- CMDB and post-provisioning actions support
- Supported for vRealize Automation 7.3 and ServiceNow Helsinki and Istanbul.
Audit Logging Enabled by Default for the Following Items:
- Fabric Groups
- Workflow subscriptions
- Configuration API for the following items:
- Setting the event logs retention period
- Filtering certain target types from being processed by the event log
- Purging old event log messages from local database.
Learn more about vRealize Automation 7.3: