VMware vCAC or vRA request stuck in "In Progress" state but VM got successfully created and available in Managed Machines. There could be many requests were stuck in status “In Progress” since few months. So we need to change the status of old requests that are showing “In Progress” to “Completed”.
- It could be a cause that a VM request was submitted which started a vRO workflow. Part of the workflow pauses release of the VM until it verifies that the request is marked completed. While this was pending, the vRO and vRA appliances were rebooted to resolve another issue. When the vRO server came back, there was a duplicate workflow for the same VM request triggered by vRO. After some time, the request was marked complete and original workflow completed. However the duplicate workflow did not complete and the vRA request still shows as "In Progress".
- It could be another cause that a VM request was submitted which started a vRO workflow. Part of the workflow pauses release of the VM until it verifies that the request is marked completed. While this was pending, the standby model manager server also came online. When there are 2 active Manager Server at a time, such confusing situation may arise and the state of the request did not change in data-base and the vRA request still shows as "In Progress".
However the VM is available in the Managed Machines listing to use for daily activities, without having any issues.
Example: Assume the request number 37 is “In Progress” since 01/21/2016 i.e. more than 6 months.
- Login with SSH user “root” on your vRA appliance.
- Go to the “bin” directory of vPostgres i.e. #cd /opt/vmware/vpostgres/9.2/bin/
- Connect to the “vcac” database with the username” vcac” i.e. #./psql -U vcac -d vcac
- Run the query to confirm the current status for a specific request number #37.
SELECT id,requestnumber FROM cat_request where state='IN_PROGRESS' and requestnumber = '37';
- Run the query to change the state from “In Progress” to “Completed” for a specific request number #37.
UPDATE cat_request SET datecompleted = now(), lastupdated = now(), requestcompletionstate = 'SUCCESSFUL', completiondetails = 'Request marked Successful using DB script as it was stuck in IN_PROGRESS state for long time.', state = 'SUCCESSFUL' WHERE state = 'IN_PROGRESS' AND requestnumber IN (37);
- Login to vRA self-service portal and check the status for above mentioned request number #37
- After changing the state of the request, vRA will NOT send the email notification to the requester or admin.