Sometimes we notice in VMware vRealize Automation requests page, multiple tasks get stuck in In Progress or Pending Approval status for a long time. This issue occurs because of many reasons like – it does not have a valid approver in vRealize Automation. The approver for the request is no longer a member of the approver's group or no longer with the company. The approver was added to the approval group after the request was created. When a task hangs up or when the backing infrastructure for that task is changed or removed.
To resolve this issue, we need to clean up the vRA postgres database for those specific In Progress or Pending Approval tasks.
- It is recommended to keep a snapshot just before the activity and schedule the activity in an approved downtime.
- It is recommended to use normal virtual machine backup methods to back up the appliance. For more information see VMware Documentation
- Take a backup of the postgres database. For more information see KB 2074214
- Take a backup of the postgres database by running these commands and use SCP or WinSCP to transfer the vcacvadbdump.bz2 file out of the appliance.
- cloudpandavra1:'#service vcac-server stop
- cloudpandavra1:'#su -m -c "/opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/pg_dumpall -c -f /tmp/vcac.sql" postgres
- cloudpandavra1:'#bzip2 -z /tmp/vcac.sql
- cloudpandavra1:'#service vcac-server start